San Diego Professional DUI Accident Lawyers Are Available to Protect Your Rights
Over a million people enjoy a wonderful life in the beautiful city of San Diego, California. More families move to the area every year because of its excellent location on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, extraordinary climate, fine neighborhoods and exemplary opportunities for work and education. However, that perfect life can be shattered in a moment if you or someone who you love is injured or killed as a result of an auto accident that was caused by a drunk driver. If this type of tragedy has affected your life, then you should contact a San Diego car accident lawyer to protect your rights.
Reports from 2011 indicate that a staggering 63.5 percent of all auto accident fatalities in California were caused by drunk drivers. There were 1,800 fatalities across the state, and another 23,621 people were injured. In 2016, there were 11 fatal DUI accidents in San Diego alone, and 16 people were killed in those collisions. Many drunk driving accidents take place on Interstate 5, which runs along the coastline of San Diego. Millions of drivers use this freeway daily, and it’s considered one of the state’s most dangerous highways. Unfortunately, it’s possible to become the victim of a drunk driver regardless of which San Diego highway you happen to be using for your regular travel needs.
The Importance of Hiring an Experienced DUI Car Accident Lawyer
It’s all too easy to become the victim of a drunk driver, and you’ll definitely want a lawyer who is experienced with this type of case if it happens to you. Most any personal injury attorney may successfully address an accident claim that doesn’t involve the use of alcohol as a determining factor, but things are handled much differently when you’re injured as a result of the actions of an intoxicated driver. It’s not really considered an accident because the intoxicated party chose to drive in an impaired state, and California has strict laws that work to support the victims of drunk drivers.
What to Expect From Your San Diego DUI Car Accident Lawyer
An experienced San Diego DUI car accident lawyer will ensure that both the at-fault driver and the insurance company compensate you fairly by putting together a strong case that’s based on a thorough accident investigation. These are just a few of the important elements that your lawyer may secure as evidence in your case.
- Interview police officers and medical personnel who arrived at the accident scene
- Secure the results of field sobriety tests, breathalyzer tests and blood tests to determine the at-fault driver’s blood-alcohol level
- Locate any witnesses who may have seen the accident, used their phone to record the accident or witnessed the reckless driving that led up to the accident
- Investigate the at-fault driver’s legal history to determine if drunk driving has been a problem in his or her past
- Obtain any available video footage from area traffic cams or video cameras that are located at nearby homes or businesses
Determining All Responsible Parties
While it’s natural to assume that the drunk driver is always the only responsible party, California law allows the victims of drunk drivers to seek compensation from additional parties. Specifically, if your injuries resulted from an accident that was caused by a drunk driver under the age of 21, then you may also seek damages from the restaurant or bar that served alcohol to the at-fault driver.
Common Injuries Sustained From Drunk Driving Collisions
Accidents that occur as a result of alcohol intoxication are often the worst because they regularly involve highly impaired drivers who crash into other drivers at a high rate of speed. Many people don’t survive these accidents, and these are a few of the most common injuries that occur.
- Partial or full paralysis as the result of a severed or seriously injured spinal cord
- Traumatic burns from being trapped in a vehicle that has caught on fire
- Inability to walk, talk or care for your personal needs as a result of a traumatic brain injury
- Shattered pelvis
- Crushed rib cage
- Broken bones
- Loss of limbs that may be severed in the accident or require immediate amputation
- Crippling whiplash
- Mental and emotional trauma
Seeking Compensation for Damages
Once you’ve lost a loved one or been injured as a result of a drunk driving accident, you may spend a very long time trying to heal physically, mentally and emotionally. In most cases, you won’t be able to return to work, and you’ll become further stressed by the huge medical bills that turn up in your mailbox each day. Fortunately, there’s no reason for you to be responsible for an accident that occurred through no fault of your own. You are entitled to compensation, and these are just a few of the damages that your San Diego DUI accident lawyer will aggressively pursue on your behalf.
- Hospital expenses
- Ambulance fees
- Bills from specialists
- Therapy fees
- Lost wages
- Loss of gainful employment
- Long-term care for those who require around-the-clock home care or a lengthy stay in a nursing home or a rehabilitation facility
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages that cover the repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of a loved one
Experienced Representation Available Locally
Those in the San Diego area who have had their lives tragically altered as a result of a drunk driving accident are encouraged to call a San Diego personal injury accident lawyer right away. We’ve seen far too many victims of drunk driving collisions who are victimized once again by the actions of their own and the at-fault driver’s insurance company. We understand that insurance companies don’t always have your best interests in mind because they only want to pay the least amount possible. That’s why you can count on our experienced DUI accident lawyers to do everything possible to ensure that you receive every last cent that you’re entitled to.
Locations We Serve