SUVs continue to gain popularity as an alternative to cramped cars and unsightly minivans. Ample interior room makes an SUV the perfect choice for growing families. If you are interested in purchasing a new SUV, it is important to choose a model with advanced safety features.
The Safest 2015 SUVs
Every year, manufacturers improve SUV safety by introducing better structural designs and adding new technology. since keeping your family safe is a priority, consider these top rated SUVs.
1) Mercedes-Benz M Class: Typical of Mercedes, the M-class SUV is equipped with a variety of safety features including the proprietary “Pre-Safe” system that automatically snugs up the seatbelts if an imminent collision is detected. A telematics feature known as “mbrace 2” instantly notifies first responders if an accident is detected. Other standard features include lane departure and blind spot warning systems, which can automatically apply the brakes when a serious hazard is detected.
2) Acura MDX: Acura’s full-size SUV was designed with safety as a top priority. The vehicle is loaded with standard safety features including blind spot monitoring, a lane departure warning system and a driver’s knee airbag. A safety upgrade is available that augments the lane departure system by providing real time intervention to keep the MDX in its lane. The forward collision warning system is available in two configurations. The standard equipment provides a collision warning alert while the enhanced version incorporates a full-fledged automatic braking system.
3) Mazda CX-5: The CX-5 is an affordable SUV that provides a number of standard safety features including traction and stability control, front and side curtain airbags and antilock brakes. An automatic collision notification system and blind spot monitoring are standard on the Touring and Grand Touring models. Mazda’s optional “Smart City Brake Support System” is a laser driven braking enhancement that will apply the brakes automatically at speeds up to 19 mph if the driver fails to react.
4) Volvo XC60: Volvo is known for emphasizing safety in all vehicle designs, so it is no surprise that the XC60 is one of the safest SUVs available. Standard safety features include a low-speed accident avoidance system that identifies pedestrians and vehicles. When activated, the brakes are applied automatically if an imminent crash is detected. Buyers can add an optional collision warning system, driver attention monitor, blind spot warning and a more robust automatic braking feature.
5) Subaru Forester: Subaru focuses its designs on enhanced crash safety, and the results are reflected in the nearly perfect safety scores the Forester received from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA). The recently redesigned Forester comes standard with driver’s knee airbags and a front facing camera that detects potential collisions and lane drift. The “Eyesight” feature provides automatic braking at speeds less than 19 mph.
Never Compromise on Safety
While safety features ultimately add to the price of a new SUV, many drivers receive insurance rate discounts and enjoy higher vehicle resale values. Of course, peace of mind that comes from knowing your family is protected while on the road is invaluable.
To read more about which SUV’s are top rated read more here.